Anyone can bring Buffalo wings and pizza to a Super bowl party....Scott Fuernstein, General Manager of Food & Beverage at the Huntington Center, shows how to make a fun game-day dish that's out of the ordinary: Fried Risotto Croquettes filled with Mozzarella.
Arancini (Fried risotto croquettes)
1/2 lb. Arborio Rice
1/4 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons butter
3 cups (approx.) Chicken Stock (hot)
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp chopped Italian parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 egg yolk
2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
4oz Fresh mozzarella (cut into small cubes)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs (beaten)
2 cups breadcrumbs
Vegetable Oil for Frying
1. Prepare the risotto. Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook lightly until onions are translucent (about 2 minutes). Add rice and stir to coat the rice with oil and butter.
2. Add the hot stock about 2/3 of a cup at a time. Cook over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock. Continue this process until all the stock has been used and rice is tender (approx. 30 minutes). If rice still requires more cooking, add more stock as necessary.
3. Add in 2 Tablespoons of parmesan cheese and parsley and stir. Season to taste with Salt and black pepper. Allow to cool before moving on to the next step.
4. In a bowl, mix the cooled risotto with egg yolk, and heavy cream.
5. Take risotto and form into a ball approx. 2" in diameter. Flatten out in your hand so it resembles a pancake.
6. Place a cube of Mozzarella inside and form a ball around the cheese. Repeat with the rest of the risotto.
7. In a separate bowl beat eggs and add a little water or milk. Place flour and breadcrumbs in two additional bowls.
8. Dip rice croquettes first in flour, then egg wash and finally into breadcrumbs.
9. In a pan heat approx. 3" of vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Fry croquettes in oil until golden brown. Place on a sheet pan and cook in oven set at 350 degrees until warm in the center (approx. 8 minutes).
10. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce and enjoy!
***Note - these can also be filled with a variety of other items as well. Be creative!