Autopsy reveals Belcher was drunk when shot girlfriend 9 times - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Autopsy reveals Belcher was drunk when shot girlfriend 9 times


An autopsy shows Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher was drunk when he shot his girlfriend nine times before he killed himself.

The Jackson County Medical Examiner released the results of autopsies performed on Belcher, 25, and his 22-year-old girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins, following their deaths on Dec. 1.

"Obviously it was a tremendous tragedy for everybody involved, not only the Kansas City Chiefs but most importantly for the two families who were impacted," Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said Monday after the reports released. "My heart and prayers go out to the two families because I know it just continues to be so tough for both of them."

Police say Belcher killed Perkins at the couple's Kansas City home, then drove to the team's practice site and committed suicide in front of his coach and the team's then-general manager, Scott Pioli.

The Jackson County Medical Examiner's office stated Belcher's blood-alcohol level was 0.17 and was likely higher at the time of the shooting.  The legal limit in Missouri is 0.08 percent.

The autopsy results for Perkins showed virtually no presence of alcohol. Both autopsies showed no trace of illegal drugs.

The autopsy report says Perkins was shot in the neck, chest, abdomen, hip, back, leg and hand. Belcher and Perkins had an infant daughter, and their families are fighting for custody of her.

Belcher's body had numerous scars on it including three-inch scars on his legs and arm.

Perkins had a faint pulse and was rushed to the hospital where she was pronounced dead 39 minutes after Belcher began pumping bullets into her body.

Police records indicate Belcher apparently threatened to shoot Perkins months earlier. Perkins gave birth to Zoey on Sept. 11.

Belcher, less than two months before the murder-suicide, told his secret second girlfriend he would shoot the mother of his child if she didn't leave him alone.

According to police, Belcher told the 22-year-old girlfriend that Perkins "knew exactly how to press his buttons and make him angry."

Police found Belcher sleeping inside his car outside the second girlfriend's home on Armour Boulevard about 3 a.m. Dec. 1.

Authorities said initially he appeared intoxicated, but was instead asleep and disoriented when they woke him. The report states a police sergeant did not smell alcohol on his breath.

Belcher reportedly didn't leave the woman's home until 6:30 a.m. After he arrived home, he argued with Perkins before fatally shooting her about 7:50 a.m.

Belcher was due at Arrowhead at 9:30 a.m. for a mandatory team meeting, which was the day before the Chiefs were to play the Carolina Panthers at the stadium on Sunday.

Belcher's mother, Cheryl Shepherd, had been living with the couple for about two weeks and was in the home when her son killed Perkins.

Shepherd received temporary custody of Zoey soon after the shootings and filed a petition in mid-December asking to be appointed as Zoey's guardian and conservator of her estate. A custody battle has erupted over the child.

Zoey is currently staying with maternal relatives in Austin, TX. They have refused to return Zoey to Shepherd.

In addition to the well-being of the child, millions of dollars are at stake in the custody battle.

Zoey's estate or guardian will receive more than $1 million under terms of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, including $108,000 annually over the next four years, $48,000 in the fifth year and $52,000 each year until she turns 18. She can keep receiving that amount until she is 23 if she attends college.

A trust funded by the Hunt family, which owns the Chiefs, along with team coaches, players, employees and contributions from the public, will help care for the child. Also, Belcher's beneficiary will receive $600,000 in life insurance, plus $200,000 for each credited season — Belcher was in his fourth season at the time of his death — and $100,000 in a retirement account.

Zoey's maternal grandparents, Rebecca Anne Gonzalez and Darryl Perkins, and other Texas relatives have filed a lawsuit seeking temporary custody of the girl, that her residence be in Tarrant County, TX, and that a guardian ad lit em be appointed.

A Fort Worth judge has scheduled a Jan. 22 hearing in that lawsuit. The judge will conduct a conference Jan. 17 with his Jackson County, MO, counterpart and attorneys for Zoey's maternal and paternal grandparents to discuss whether Texas or Missouri has jurisdiction in the case.

KCTV5's Jonathan Carter and Brad Fanning contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.  The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Powered by Frankly