TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) - Stuffed Hungarian Peppers with Marinara
12 each Hungarian Peppers
1 ½ lb. SOFO brand bulk Italian sausage
½ each small onion, finely diced
½ each medium sized red bell pepper, finely diced
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 quart marinara sauce
4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut tops off of pepper sand scoop out any seeds.
- Sautee onions and bell peppers over medium heat until softened, approx. 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a stainless steel bowl mix sausage, cooled peppers and onions and ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- With a spoon, fill peppers with sausage mixture.
- Sear stuffed peppers over medium – high heat until browned on all sides.
- Arrange stuffed peppers in an oven proof dish and top with warm marinara sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes. Peppers are done when the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and return to oven for an additional 2 – 5 minutes or until cheese has melted to a golden brown. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese and serve.