WTOL $10 Tuesday – July 3, 2012
Tina Miller, MS RD Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Advisor
For more information, visit www.meijermealbox.com
4th of July Menu
Red, White and Blue BBQ Chicken Nachos (Nacho Bar)
Firecracker Guacamole (and other toppings)
Cool Cucumber Salad
Red, White and Blue BBQ Chicken Nachos
Bring 3/4 cup Meijer brand barbecue sauce ($0.58) and1/4 cup water to a simmer. Add 2 cups shredded cooked chicken ($2.07); heat through. Top ½ bag of Meijer Organics Blue Corn Tortilla Chips ($1.40) with chicken and 1 1/2 cups Kraft 2% Colby jack or Mexican blend shredded Cheese ($1.41). Bake until cheese melts then top with topping ideas.
Nacho Bar Topping Ideas: ** prices vary and are not included in total cost
• Firecracker Guacamole (recipe below)
• Chopped scallions
• Sliced avocado
• Black beans
• Plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
• Black olives
• Jalapeno peppers
• Fresh tomatoes
• Sliced romaine lettuce
Makes 2 servings
2-3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and coarsely mashed ($2.00)
¼ cup minced green onions ($0.05)
1 ripe tomato, seeded and diced ($0.25)
1 habanero chile, stemmed, seeded and minced (or less, to taste) ($0.15)
1Tbsp. lemon juice (on-hand)
Salt, to taste (on-hand)
1. Gently combine all ingredients in a medium serving bowl. Let sit for at least 10 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve and enjoy!
Source: California Avocado Commission (www.avocado.org)
Cool Cucumber Salad
Makes 6 (1/2-cup) servings.
2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (4 small or 2 large cucumbers) ($1.18)
1/2 tsp. Meijer salt (on-hand)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion ($0.30)
1/4 cup Meijer vinegar (on-hand)
1/4 cup water (on-hand)
1 Tbsp. Meijer sugar (on-hand)
1/2 tsp. McCormick® Dill Weed (on-hand)
1/4 tsp. McCormick® Black Pepper, Coarse Ground (on-hand)
Pinch McCormick® Red Pepper, Ground (on-hand)
1. Place cucumber slices in medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Stir in onions.
2. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl. Pour over cucumbers and onions; toss lightly. Cover.
3. Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve. Toss before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 28 calories, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 6g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 1g protein.
Other idea: Sour Cream Dill Cucumber Salad: Prepare cucumbers and onion as directed. Omit vinegar, water and sugar. Mix 1/2 cup sour cream and seasonings. Toss with cucumber mixture.
Adapted from: McCormick.
Total Cost: $9.31
Brownie and Berries Dessert Pizza
1 Box (1 lb. 6.5 oz.) Betty Crocker Original Supreme Brownie Mix
Per Brownie Mix - Water
Per Brownie Mix - Vegetable Oil
Per Brownie Mix - Eggs
1 Pkg. Kraft reduced fat Cream Cheese (8 oz.), softened
1/3 Cup Meijer Sugar
1/2 tsp. McCormick Vanilla
2 Cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced
1 Fresh Blueberries
1 Cup Fresh Raspberries
1/2 Cup Meijer Apple Jelly
1. Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom only of 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray or shortening.
2. Mix Brownies according to package directions (In medium bowl, stir brownie mix, pouch of chocolate syrup, water, oil and eggs until well blended. Spread in pan.)
3. Bake 28 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out clean or almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. In small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over brownie base. Arrange berries over cream cheese mixture.
5. Stir jelly until smooth; brush over berries. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled. Cut into wedges. Store covered in refrigerator.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 310, Fat 12g, Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 180mg, Carbohydrates 47g, Fiber 2g.