TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) – Toledo Walleye Head Coach Nick Vitucci says defenseman Bryan Rufenach, who died Tuesday morning in Switzerland, was electrocuted while sitting on a train station bench.
Vitucci says the bench included a backlit advertisement, but it is unclear if the bench was the cause of the electrocution.
"[It was] really just a freak accidental electrocution. He was literally sitting on a bench at the train station in Switzerland and was electrocuted while sitting on the bench," said Vitucci.
Vitucci says Rufenach was backpacking through Europe with a childhood friend.
"All the players are aware of it, and obviously all of them are in shock and confused by it," said Vitucci.
Vitucci says any funeral services for Rufenach will be held in Canada, where he grew up.
"[Rufenach had] a bright, bright smile every day, regardless of how things were going. He was asked to play in a lot of roles for us this season, and did every one with a big smile on his face," said Vitucci.