MILLBURY, OH (Toledo News Now) - June 5 marks two years since a string of tornadoes tore through the area killing seven people. As the community remembers, it also continues to rebuild.
In Lake Township, a new high school is nearing completion.
Most people said it is hard to believe it has been two years since the tornado ripped through the area. The high school is a sign of how the community has risen from ruin.
It has been two years since the devastation, but for many it still seems like yesterday.
Workers are putting finishing touches on the 144,000 square foot facility which cost $25.5 million facility. It was paid by insurance money and grants from Kohl's and the state of Ohio. Classrooms will be outfitted with new technology plus there will be a 500-seat auditorium and field house.
For Lake's incoming seniors it is another new home. They had just finished their freshmen year of high school when the tornado hit. Since then, they have spent the last two years in a temporary high school in Northwood. By the time they graduate, they will have taken classes in three different schools over the course of their high school careers.
The district's superintendent said he is most excited for the students and staff.
"The last two years they've made the best of a situation they didn't ask for, and they're going to be able to reap the fruits of this labor now in a few short months," said Jim Witt, Lake High's superintendent.
School officials will get the keys to the new school mid-July with an opening ceremony to be held in August before the start of classes. The first bell will ring when classes resume in the fall.
Read more on the tornado:
- People take time to remember Millbury tornado
- Fundraiser to be held for family of 2010 Millbury tornado victim
- Millbury residents celebrate 'Triumph Over Tragedy'
- 5K run and walk will honor Millbury tornado victims
- Millbury's Main St. rebuilds after tornado destruction
- Injuries from tornado likely killed Millbury man
- Millbury neighbors sticking close together after tornado
- Northwood firefighter writes song about Millbury tornado aftermath
- Millbury volunteers sort through mementos found in the rubble
- Millbury residents return to destroyed homes for clean-up