(Toledo News Now) - Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer. From this point on, we'll spend much of our time outdoors, but some products in your yard could be dangerous. Watch out for these summertime recalls.
When something you own is recalled, you like to hear about it. However, many of us never receive a call or letter because we failed to register it, bought it used, or moved. The government has just released a summertime recall roundup of some dangerous items you may still have.
Tracy Perry is one of many used car buyers hit by an unexpected surprise after taking their car home: A recall that had never been repaired.
Perry learned there had been a recall on the subframe, but it had never been fixed.
"I have a teenager daughter and if she was driving and the frame broke, it would have been an instant wreck," said Perry.
But millions of recalled products, from cars to kid toys, are still in American homes, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The Federal Trade Commission has just released a list of recently recalled summertime products which include:
- Adventure Playsets because the wood can rot too fast. Sold at Walmart, Toys R Us, and Menards since 2005.
- The Dartmouth Metal Swing Set because the seats can break. Sold at Toys R Us last year.
- Disney Princess and Fairy tricycles because of a laceration hazard. Sold at Target since 2009.
- Build-A-Bear Swimming Tube because of a strangulation hazard. Sold since 2011.
- Uni-O Portable Grills because they can catch fire. Sold since 2008 at Walgreens and Dick's Sporting Goods.
- Pourable Fuel Gel because the gel can cause severe burns. Sold since 2006 at Bed, Bath and Beyond and home center stores.
- Honda Grass Trimmers because of a laceration hazard. Sold since 2006 at Honda power equipment centers.
As Perry learned, you want to find out about recalls before you have a problem.
"If we had an accident, my daughter could have been killed!" said Perry.
If you suspect you have any of those items, check the CPSC. Remember to register baby or children's items when you buy them. That way your family stays safe and you don't waste your money.