Substance found on Monroe property nonhazardous

Ray Spaulding from the DEQ said the mysterious substance found on a Monroe property is shingle tar and is nonhazardous.
Ray Spaulding from the DEQ said the mysterious substance found on a Monroe property is shingle tar and is nonhazardous.

MONROE, MI (Toledo News Now) – Authorities now know the substance found on a Monroe property that has led to the deaths of several animals.

On May 3, a dead racoon and groundhog were lying in a suspected toxic or hazardous material. Since then, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality checked it out and deemed the substance nonhazardous.

Video from last week showed a member of the party who filed the complaint trying to pick up one of the animals in the substance and accidentally breaking off the leg in his hand. Pictures were also sent showing animals in the black, oil-like substance.

Later that night, a backhoe with the name "Homrich" covered the area with rocks. The land the substance is located on is owned by Roger Homrich of Homrich Inc.

Ray Spaulding from the DEQ said the substance is shingle tar and is nonhazardous.

Homrich said it could have been released due to vandalism.

Spaulding also said Homrich has taken the necessary actions to mitigate the area and the substance will be properly disposed of in a type II landfill.

Lisa Cosby, who lives adjacent to the property and notified city officials, said the action taken is not good enough. She believes there is more behind the incident and is still left with more questions than answers.

Read more on the substance: