Just in time for Easter we have tips and recipes for storing and using those Easter dinner leftovers to help save you money. Simple and delicious, our Pesto Pasta dinner comes in under $10 for a family of four and is ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes!
Pesto Pasta ($7.63)
Serves: 4 -6
8 ounces Barilla Rich in Fiber Piccolini Mini Rotini (NuVal™ Score 87) - $1.00
2 cups cut-up fresh or frozen Michigan asparagus (NuVal™ Score 100) - $0.85
1 1/2 cups cubed ham (NuVal™ Score 23) - $1.45
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (NuVal™ Score 96) - $1.00
1/3 cup chopped red onion (NuVal™ Score 93) - $0.35
1 (2.25-ounce) can Meijer sliced ripe olives, well drained (NuVal™ Score 6) - $1.29
1/2 cup Classico® prepared pesto sauce (NuVal™ Score 23) - $1.25
3 tablespoons Kraft shredded or grated Romano cheese (NuVal™ Score 20) - $0.47
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain.
- Steam or microwave asparagus until tender crisp. Drain. Combine cooked pasta and asparagus in a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, onion and olives. Gently toss with pesto sauce. Serve warm, garnished with cheese. Refrigerate leftovers; they make a great lunch.
Note: Use leftover ham and asparagus for this recipe. Also, one (14.5-ounce) can Michigan asparagus cuts and tips, well drained, can be substituted for fresh or frozen asparagus in this recipe. Heat asparagus for 1 to 2 minutes in a microwave before combining with cooked pasta.
Serve with fresh cantaloupe slices ($1.50)
Total meal cost: $9.13
Easter Leftovers Tips and Recipes
- Ham slices will keep 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Freeze after 3 days.
- Use leftover ham in soups, casseroles, to top green salads and in omelets.
- Lamb slices will keep 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Freeze after 3 days.
- Use leftover lamb in soups, casseroles, and "gyro" sandwiches with yogurt and cucumber.
Hard Cooked Eggs:
- Don't allow hard-cooked eggs to sit out more than 2 hours at room temp.
- Hard cooked eggs will keep a full week in the refrigerator
- Use to make egg salad, deviled eggs, cob salads, to top toast with sliced egg and avocado slices, or to make sliced egg, lettuce and tomato sandwiches.
Simple Spinach Salad
Serves: 4, Time: 20 minutes
4 hard cooked eggs (peeled and sliced)
1 cup diced lean ham
1 (10 ounce) bag flat leaf spinach
1/2 cup croutons
4 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 small red onion, sliced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/3 cup Meijer Canola Oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbls. water
1/4 tsp. Salt
2-3 Tbls. Sugar
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. celery seed
2 Tbls. Meijer Dijon Mustard
Prepare the dressing in a blender or food processor by combining the diced onion, sugar, salt, oil, vinegar, water, pepper, celery seed and Dijon mustard. Blend until smooth.
In a large salad bowl, combine the eggs, ham, spinach, sliced red onion, croutons and mushrooms. Toss to mix. Pour enough dressing over salad to lightly coat
Serve and enjoy!
Lamb Barley Soup
Serves: 8, Prep. Time: 15 minutes, Total Time: 1 hour
1 cup diced lamb
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can Delmonte diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups water
4 Cups Reduced-sodium Beef or Chicken Broth
1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's condensed tomato soup
4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon McCormick chili powder
1/2 teaspoon McCormick Herbs de Provence blend
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup barley
In a large stockpot over medium heat: Spray stockpot with Meijer nonstick cooking spray. Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook 2-3 minutes, until crisp tender. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Simmer over low-medium heat 40-45 minutes.
Curried Potato Salad
Serves: 8, Prep. Time: 20 minutes
4 cups large-dice potatoes (about 3 – 4 bakers)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced red onion
3 hard cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
2/3 cup Meijer light sour cream
1/4 cup Meijer white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 to 2 Tbls. McCormick Curry Powder
In a large bowl gently stir together diced potatoes, celery, onion and eggs. In a small mixing bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper and curry and mix well and add to potato mixture. Still gently until well blended. Serve or cover and chill.
Adapted from: www.meijermealbox.com
This is a healthy twist on a traditional sandwich.
Serves: 2, Time: 15 minutes
2 tablespoons lite Meijer mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 large (10 to 11 inch) whole grain tortilla
1 leaf romaine lettuce
2 thin slices mozzarella, cheddar or provolone cheese
2 thin slices (about 2 ounces) shaved ham, lamb or roast beef
2 large pieces prepared roasted red pepper, well drained
4 Michigan asparagus spears, cooked
- Combine mayonnaise and Italian seasoning. Spread over one side of flour tortilla. Layer lettuce, cheese and meat.
- Place red pepper pieces near center of meat. Top with asparagus. Roll up. Cut in half diagonally to serve.