Vietnamese Summer Rolls
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 oz chicken, cut into strips
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 scallions, cut into lengthwise slivers
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped peanuts (optional)
- 4 sheets rice paper wrappers
Combine the first six ingredients and set aside as a dipping sauce.
Prepare the other ingredients and set them out on your work surface. Set out a bowl of hot water and a clean kitchen towel.
Put a rice paper wrapper into the water for about 10 seconds, just until soft (don't let it become too soft; it will continue to soften as you work). Lay it on the towel.