- 1 1/2 oz 70% or more dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 oz milk chocolate of good quality, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp half & half
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch salt
Pour 1/3 cup into a small sauce pan and heat until steaming. Don't boil the milk. Heat will enhance the sweetness of the milk but boiling the milk will obliterate the sweetness.
Add both dark & milk chocolate into the sauce pan and stir continuously until the chocolate is fully melted.
Add the cinnamon and salt and stir. Then slowly add the remaining milk and half & half while stirring.
Continue to heat to desired temperature. Pour into your favorite mug. Top with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Use a variety of spices i.e. nutmeg, cardamom, ancho chili powder, cayenne pepper, anise, etc.
- Steep flavors like fresh herbs or orange zest with the milk before adding the chocolate. Strain out the solids and add the flavored milk back into the pan.
- When using liquors, add 1-2 tsp to the milk in the pan before the chocolate.
- Try adding flavored extracts like vanilla, almond, walnut, etc. after the chocolate is melted.
- May sweeten with honey, agave, or maple syrup.