Dr. Tim Valko stopped by the WTOL studios on Christmas Eve to share his favorite recipe for peppermint bark.
When Mike and Mel decided to lend a hand on WTOL 11 Your Day at 9 a.m., things went downhill from there.
However, we want you to know the peppermint bark tasted delicious -- and the recipe really is quite simple.
Dr. Tim's Peppermint Bark:
- 2 pounds white chocolate (split), chopped
- 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 50 red-and-white hard peppermint candies, crushed
Line a jelly roll/cookie sheet pan with aluminum foil
The melting of the chocolate can be done in a sauce pan on a stovetop burner on low heat. Stir frequently.
- Melt 1 pound of the white chocolate. Spread this on the entire pan. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the peppermint candies. Chill in fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate with the peppermint extract and whipping cream. Quickly spread on the chilled white chocolate. Back to the fridge it goes for about 20 minutes again.
- Melt the last pound of the white chocolate. Quickly spread on the dark chocolate. Sprinkle another 2/3 cup of the peppermint candies on top. Back to the fridge again until firm, about 20 minutes.
- To cut, let warm for about 10 minutes and then it cuts much easier