About Community Track 11 - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

About Community Track 11 Events


The Jefferson Awards
The Jefferson Awards were founded in 1972 by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis,
U.S. Senator Robert Taft, Jr. and Sam Beard. The mission was to establish a
nationally recognized award for outstanding community and public service.  WTOL solicits nominations of individuals who work for the betterment of their communities through volunteer and public service.  An Awards banquet is help in April.

Give Autism the Boot
"Give Autism the Boot" is a grassroots effort started by WTOL in conjunction with The Great Lakes Center for Autism. In the 3 years since its inception, WTOL has helped raise over $235,000 for Autism research at no expense for the center.

"Give Autism the Boot" events include:

  • The Glass City Marathon: Taking place in April, the marathon has grown to include nearly 2000 runners. A percentage of the race proceeds go to support The Great Lakes Center for Autism.
  • "Give Autism the Boot" fundraiser: On June 25 & 26, the center partners with local rescue workers and places them in high-traffic areas to collect whatever passersby can spare. Their collection vessel of choice is a fireman's boot, hence the fundraiser title. Not only is it a way to raise funds, but also acts as a support system. In 2009, the GATB drive raised nearly $100,000 with all of the proceeds going back to Northwest Ohio organizations.
  • "Give Autism the Boot" Bike Run: On June 26, area motorcyclists will join in a 100 mile round trip ride with proceeds going to the Autism Society of Northwest Ohio

American Heart Association Heart Walk
As the signature fund-raising event for the American Heart Association since 1994, the Start! Heart Walk promotes physical activity and heart-healthy living in a fun family environment. Each year, the event raises funds to save lives from this country's number one and number three killers, heart disease and stroke.

Clothing Your Community Back to School Event
In the winter of 2010, WTOL used the strength of our community presence to mobilize the community to donate over 55 tons of clothing to those in need. WTOL will continue this effort with the Clothing Your Community/Back to School drive taking place in August just before school starts.

Race for the Cure Breast Cancer Awareness
The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure truly shows what WTOL can do to give back to the community. WTOL is involved with the race from start to finish with a live broadcast on location. Thanks to the support of WTOL and our anchor, Chrys Peterson, race participation has soared to over 18,000 participants and raising more than $900k.  Up to 75% of the funds support breast health and education in Komen's 24 county service area. The remaining 25% goes to the National Susan G. Komen for the Cure Grants Program for energizing science to find the cures.

Toys for Tots
November through December, WTOL will team up with the Marines and Toys for Tots to make sure thousands of kids are smiling during the holidays. It's the time of year folks buy gifts for loved ones and sometimes—for someone they don't know. For many, gift giving doesn't stop with family members, and they make the holidays much more special for a child or needy family.

Powered by Frankly