Fire claims life of young woman

By Erica Shaffer - bio | email

Posted by Dave Dykema  -email

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - A local family is grieving the loss of a young woman killed in a fire.

The blaze happened early Saturday morning in north Toledo in the 200 block of Manhattan.

It took firefighters about 10 minutes to put out a fire that started on the stove, but the heartache for the family of Misty McClung will last a lifetime.

"It's a terrible loss and we love her dearly," said Debbie Jovanovic, the victim's Godmother.

"I just never got a chance to tell her I loved her last time I saw her," said Miguel Osuna, the victim's brother.

Firefighters came across the fire early this morning, before neighbors even had a chance to call 911.

"One of our transport units driving by on its way back from the hospital discovered the fire," said Battalion Chief Luis Santiago, Toledo Fire Department.

Neighbors watched as firefighters worked hard to put out the blaze and tried to rescue Misty. Unfortunately, by the time they were able to get into the house, the fire already claimed this mother of three's life.

Natalie Lee lives right behind Misty and says she didn't smell smoke at all.

"I was in my bathroom actually and I looked out and I was like, oh my God, that house burnt up. But I didn't smell anything. Nothing," said Lee. "All night long I didn't smell nothing burn."

Fortunately nobody else was in the house at the time.

"We were all praying that no one was in there," said Ashley Orra, who lives in the neighborhood. "It was devastating when we found out."

While shocking for neighbors, for family the pain is indescribable.

"Her mom doesn't know how she is going to go on without having her come home," said Jovanovic.

"My sister was the kind of person...," she her brother, collecting his thoughts. "She didn't have much, but if you needed it more than she did she would give it to you. It's a sad, sad day. We have three kids right now who are going to be without a very good mother."

Although arson investigators were on the scene, police say all clues indicate the fire was an accident.

Copyright 2009 WTOL, a Raycom Media station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.