More women turn to Planned Parenthood for annual care - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

More women turn to Planned Parenthood for annual care

"We've experienced a 23% increase from January through June in poverty-level clients requiring subsidies," said Lisa Perks, the CEO of Planned Parenthood Ohio. "We've experienced a 23% increase from January through June in poverty-level clients requiring subsidies," said Lisa Perks, the CEO of Planned Parenthood Ohio.

By Lauren Lowrey - bio | email 

Posted by Lisa Strawbridge - email

(WTOL) - It's affordable. It's confidential. For 70 years, Planned Parenthood of Northwest Ohio has served a portion of the population needing gynecological care.

In the last year, that population has grown. "We've experienced a 23% increase from January through June in poverty-level clients requiring subsidies," said Lisa Perks, the CEO of Planned Parenthood Ohio.

The government defines 100% poverty level at $14,560 annually for a family of two or $22,048 for a family of four.

The 23% increase in patients represents 825 more visits being made by people who are just recently fitting into this category. "These are low income, very needy patients who often have no insurance, might be between school or work, might be in school, might be recently laid off, and have no form of health care," said Perks.

A total of 75% of patients at Planned Parenthood of Northwest Ohio fit into this category. The other 25% represents a growing trend emerging in this tough economy: women who have an income and have insurance, but just can't afford regular care.

So they're seeking out services from Planned Parenthood who boasts care at 70% of market cost.

As the health-care debate wages on, organizations like this will continue to battle for reasonable care for all patients feeling the pinch.

Copyright 2009 WTOL, a Raycom Media station. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • Headlines from Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Fulton & Monroe CountiesNewsMore>>

  • Monroe Police warns residents of phone scam

    Monroe Police warns residents of phone scam

    Thursday, June 21 2018 3:58 PM EDT2018-06-21 19:58:06 GMT

    Victims are told they have to send payments for various fees, fines and other costs to avoid arrest or their penalty.

    More >>

    Victims are told they have to send payments for various fees, fines and other costs to avoid arrest or their penalty.

    More >>
  • OVI checkpoint planned in Defiance Friday

    OVI checkpoint planned in Defiance Friday

    Thursday, June 21 2018 3:29 PM EDT2018-06-21 19:29:28 GMT

    The Ohio State Highway Patrol announced Thursday that an OVI checkpoint will be held in Defiance County Friday evening. The OVI checkpoint, funded by federal grant funds, is planned to deter and intercept impaired drivers. “Based on provisional data, there were 397 OVI-related fatal crashes in which 405 people were killed last year in Ohio,” Lt. Robert J. Ashenfelter, commander of the Defiance post, said. “State troopers make on average 25,000 OVI arrests each year i...

    More >>

    The Ohio State Highway Patrol announced Thursday that an OVI checkpoint will be held in Defiance County Friday evening. The OVI checkpoint, funded by federal grant funds, is planned to deter and intercept impaired drivers. “Based on provisional data, there were 397 OVI-related fatal crashes in which 405 people were killed last year in Ohio,” Lt. Robert J. Ashenfelter, commander of the Defiance post, said. “State troopers make on average 25,000 OVI arrests each year i...

    More >>
  • Complaint made about suspected bedbugs made at Cinemark theater; company 'not aware' of issues

    Complaint made about suspected bedbugs made at Cinemark theater; company 'not aware' of issues

    Thursday, June 21 2018 3:28 PM EDT2018-06-21 19:28:59 GMT

    A complaint about suspected bedbugs at the Cinemark theater in Franklin Park Mall was made Friday, and according to the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department, the mall used its bedbug protocol after the complaint. However, according to a Cinemark spokesman, the company is not aware of any issues with insects. “We work with a pest control company that regularly inspects our theatres and performs preventative services several times per year.  We are not aware of any is...

    More >>

    A complaint about suspected bedbugs at the Cinemark theater in Franklin Park Mall was made Friday, and according to the Toledo-Lucas County Health Department, the mall used its bedbug protocol after the complaint. However, according to a Cinemark spokesman, the company is not aware of any issues with insects. “We work with a pest control company that regularly inspects our theatres and performs preventative services several times per year.  We are not aware of any is...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly