TOLEDO (WTOL) - This weekend ... get your Hygge on!
Hygge is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality (pleasantness) with feelings of wellness and contentment. Taking pleasure in the simple things!
Hygge (pronounced hue-guh not hoo-gah) literally only requires consciousness, a certain slowness, and the ability to not just be present – but recognize and enjoy the present. That’s why so many people distill “hygge” down to being a “feeling” – because if you don’t feel hygge, you probably aren’t using the word right (source hyggehouse.com).
So, as we’re snowed in this weekend … instead of thinking about “cabin fever” or boredom, find ways to bring more coziness, charm, happiness, comfort, simplicity into your home (or environment).
Danes created hygge because they were trying to survive boredom, cold, dark and sameness and the undefinable feeling of Hygge was a way for them to find moments to celebrate or acknowledge and to break up the day, months or years (source hyggehouse.com).
Here are some ways Go 419 host Malena Caruso found to bring on the Hygge this weekend!
- Get all of your errands done EARLY on Saturday morning.
- Straighten up your house – bringing cleanliness and clearing distractions helps bring peace of mind.
- Light your favorite candle.
- If you have a fireplace – turn down the heat and start a cozy fire!
- Treat yourself to a “spa-like” bath at home: candles, bath salts, bubbles, low lights … the whole deal!
- Wear your coziest socks, sweatpants and sweatshirt.
- COOK! Invite a few friends over to make a homecooked meal – have each person bring ingredients for a dish. Nothing brings on the feeling of Hygge like the smell of a cooking meal!
- Pour your favorite drink (warm drinks are the best – wine can be heated up too!).
- Watch your favorite movie – not a scary movie! Put on movie that brings feelings of joy, happiness, contentment, and makes you laugh!
- Snuggle up in a COZY blanket.
- Read that book you’ve been waiting to read until you “had more time” now is the time!
- Play a board game with your family.
NOW, don’t be afraid to BUNDLE up and enjoy the snow! PLAY! Bring out your inner kid! And what’s better than coming in from the cold and doing ALL of the above!
Watch a Danish blogger talk about Hygge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZ-5dTUpgk